Sunday 2 March 2014

Do what you Love, and Love what you do

A T-Rex and Stegosaurus sat on either end of the center piece of the head table; my surprise Firefly reference for my husband.


I wish this post was about finding a job you love and pursuing it, but I'm afraid I'm not there yet.

Instead this is about finding out what excites you, surrounding yourself with it and loving it while it excites you. When  I was young I discovered I had a passion for Fiction and loved to read. I surrounded myself with mountains of books on my book shelves, dressers and side tables. I always felt at home surrounded by a lot of books.

In high school when I started to ask myself "Who am I?" I started to discover how much of a nerd I am. I like to think that it started from my love of books with the Harry Potter series, but that's probably not true. I was a nerd before Harry Potter.

I love board games, I love TV and Movies, comic books, graphic novels, etc... but my nerdyness really flourished in University when I accepted it whole heartedly. There are bigger nerds out there, but I am proud of my passions. As such it felt natural to combine what I consider "nerd stuff" into my wedding.


Yesterday a friend said that they were thinking about a wedding without any nerdy references because they might regret it in 20 years. That's a good point. People change, tastes change, passions change, however, I never even considered if I would regret my nerdy wedding choices in 20 years because for me and my husband it was all about right now. Who are we right now? What excites us right now? And for us, the answers were easy.

In 20 years I should write another post about whether or not I regret some of my choices, but at the moment I am thrilled with what we decided to do.

from our engagement shoot. Live Long and Prosper- Star Trek
If you weren't there here are some nerdy highlights:

"Something old" our bouquets out of our favourite novels.

My bouquet and the boutonnieres were made from "The Hobbit"
I had a T.A.R.D.I.S earring dangling from my bouquet. It was a gift my Uncle brought for me from GenCon so I would have "something blue"

Red "10th Doctor" Hightop Converse. Believe me, they were comfy to dance in!

And,
Because "Bow ties are cool!"

And don't forget,
Because our wedding needed to have swords.
AND EVERY WEDDING NEEDS 
To happen in Jurassic Park.

-Brandolyn

4 comments:

  1. Sooo cool!! :)
    Didn't realize you had so many "nerdy" references, like the baby tardis on your bouquet! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried for lots of subtle ones. Dylan was wearing the Elven Leaf Brooch from LOTRs, the tables were named different Nerdy groups or Vehicles, and William Shakespeare's STAR WARS is the book in the groom's men photo!

      Delete
  2. It's been months and I'm still not over how fantastic the nerdy aspects of your wedding were, just fyi. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leanne. We had fun throwing in the little details!

      Delete