Monday 17 March 2014

(DA) The Fault in our Stars

The Fault in out Stars by John Green 

This book came as a personal recommendation from my best friend. She has a lovely collection of books I hope to one day read through.

Actually I'd heard very positive things about this book, and the author; New York Times Best Selling Author of Looking for AlaskaJohn Green, from a number of people and with the movie coming out in the spring I wanted to have read it before I saw the film.

I started The Fault in our Stars and was already laughing out loud on the second page. I thought there must be something wrong with me, this is a book about people affected by cancer; family, friends, survivors, fighters and those that fought the fight until they couldn't fight anymore. But as I read my favourite well written passages aloud to my husband (which ended up being most of the first chapter) I realized that this was that kind of book. It's sad, but it's also real and funny.
It's a work of fiction (I had to keep reminding myself) but it is so real, and so true that if you are sick, or have ever been sick, or known anyone who's sick, it will hit home.

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis at 16. Although I am currently feeling very healthy, I haven't always been so lucky. I am on treatments but I know what it is like to know there is no cure for your situation. This book was like a breath of fresh air. The author doesn't hide the reader from pain, or speak about being sick as an observer. Instead he breaks the wall between observers and the sick and helps the reader to see a true glimpse into some of the struggles of those who are fighting.

It's a beautiful story told through the eyes of a beautiful character who is smart, funny and continues to learn about life, love and the world as she continues treatment of her terminal case of cancer. The book is not meant to be a comedy (or maybe it is), but the main character is funny and you can't help but laugh along with her sense of humour. The same way you can't help but cry along with her parents, or with her as she looks at her abandoned swing set.

It's a lovable story full of metaphors, told eloquently through bright shining eyes.

If you read this book, which I suggest you do, be prepared for laughs, tears and to read it quickly. I'm not suggesting you rush through it, just understand that you won't want to put it down.
I read it in 2 sittings.

I think this book can be read by young teens even though some of the language is advanced. Have a dictionary sitting nearby and learn some new words!

-Brandolyn

Have you read it already? What were your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment