Tuesday 18 March 2014

(DA) Waiting around...

I spent the whole day at work (8AM-11PM) and most of today I spent feeling utterly useless.

Don't get the wrong idea, I had a great day! I just didn't feel like it was necessary for me to be there. I spent the day working with friends I haven't seen in a while, and showing the workings of one of my jobs to my sister in-law. We spent a lot of the day waiting around, but when we were busy we:
-steamed a whole show's worth of costumes
-repaired minor damages
-spray painted cone hats
-made lists of costumes, quick changes and pre-sets

My sister in-law had to leave before tonight's show and in true theatre fashion, everything broke half an hour before the show.

The half hour call comes on and:

-1 hem falls out
-2 zippers break
-3 dresses rip
-a hook and eye fall out

I live for this kind of chaos! This level of excitement and pressure makes all the waiting around worth it, because I never felt more useful at work then when all these actors threw their breaking garments at me and I had to fix them.

The show went over very well and everything was fixed on time. Tomorrow will be more of the same; washing, steaming and minor repairs, then a few quick changes and whatever else is thrown at us. I may even get to do some more wig work tomorrow!

I can't wait.

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment