Thursday 13 March 2014

(DA) I love reading but...

I find some books frustrating.

I have only ever had one book I hated so entirely that I didn't finish it. It was called "The Snow Spider." I have no idea who wrote it, and I tried to read it a long time ago and remember nothing about it. So even when I don't like a book I endeavor to finish it. 

I started reading the Divergent series by Veronica Roth at 2:00AM on New Year's morning. It was so good I read it completely in one sitting. I loved everything about it. A creative new world, a new outlook on humanity and human nature and easy to love & hate characters. 

Insurgent is the second book in the Trilogy. It starts off slow and took me about 7 chapters to get to a point where I devoured the book. I finished it in 5 sittings. 

The last book of the Trilogy is called Allegiant. This book introduced massive plot twists, new characters and a new writing style and I did not take all that change well. The book sat on my shelf for 5 weeks. I read a chapter here, and another chapter there and was not impressed with anything I was reading. The characters and their choices frustrated me. I thought I knew the characters and then they would make choices I found very out of character in new surroundings. 

I really struggled with the new writing style. 2 books had been just from the main female character's point of view and then the third book jumped between the main female's point of view and the main male's every other chapter.

It got to s point where I was actively scowling and sneering at points in the book. I had to just keep reading because if I stopped reading I would never pick it back up again. Finally around page 450, I gave the book an ultimatum.

I told the book that for me to actually consider liking this book it had to:

  • not do what it told me it was going to do (ie. the characters made bad choices and I needed it fixed)
  • give me a reason why there had to be 2 points of view
  • 3 major plot points (which include spoilers so I won't elaborate) had to change
to name a few. 

And to my surprise the book actually met every term of my ultimatum! The ending had some corny moments in it, but overall taught the reader some very important lessons. 

I am thrilled with the Trilogy, I have issues with the last book but I got over them by the end. Great story, really neat world and characters you want to believe in. 

Have you read it? What were your experiences with it? 
Have you ever had a book you just couldn't finish? Why? What was it about that book that bothered you so much?

-Brandolyn


No comments:

Post a Comment