Saturday 22 March 2014

(DA) D&D as escapism

One of the things that has always drawn me toward the game of Dungeons and Dragons is the aspect of character creation and story telling. There is definitely a major aspect of luck with regards to what your character can accomplish (dice rolls determine the success or failure of your actions). But the versatility of the worlds means you can create whole, compelling characters with back stories, and play with others in a world of someone's creation. For a story loving creative person it's the perfect escape from reality, and also helps creativity flow when you've hit a dead end in your creative endeavours.

Today started a new campaign of D&D with a group of my friends. All of our characters are radically different, with varying levels of detail and back story. We got to introduce ourselves to each other and then set off on a few minor quests to endear ourselves to one another before deciding to embark on a major journey together.

I often get very attached to the characters I create, and have continued to write stories (or even the campaign in most of it's entirety) as a few of my full length novels.

I love the creativity and how completely you can immerse yourself in the game. If you've never tried it, and are interested I suggest trying it out. If you don't know where to go, message me and I'll try to help you find a group or try a local merchandise shop.

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment