Friday 21 March 2014

(DA) Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth

This book was recommended to me by friends and authors I follow on social media. It is the first book in a trilogy, so naturally I asked for the first book for Christmas so I would have some reading over the holidays. 

I got the book from my father in law (my mom also got the book for Christmas from my sister) and it sat unread throughout the busy holidays until after my celebrations on New Year's Eve. Not quite tired after all the celebrating I decided to read myself to sleep. 

This is the wrong book for that. Divergent was new and exciting. The characters are compelling, the world is familiar (set in Chicago) and yet unbelievably different. The world we know is so old that the residents of Chicago don't even know that name. 

This world is fun to play in as a reader; much like the world of Harry Potter has school houses, and Hunger Games has Districts. The world in Divergent is separated in to Factions that readers can easily align themselves with or struggle against the oppression that is the confinement to one Faction. 

The characters are charismatic, curious, risk takers that take no time to adore. The story is fast paced and exhilarating. 

If you like new worlds, political tension, physical challenges, personal growth and plot twists then Divergent should make an appearance on your night stand. 

It's the first book of 3, so if you fall in love with the characters and the world, there's more to read. 

I think it is suitable for young teens and up. There is quite a bit of violence, rule breaking and self discovery, so it may not be for everyone.

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment