Saturday 31 May 2014

(DA) The Service Industry

One of my many jobs, and my newest, is working as a server for a local restaurant.

I love this job. It's a very upbeat atmosphere with a very strong team mentality. My personality fits in really well with the preexisting team, and the job's demands makes going to work a pleasure, not a chore. I think that's quite special. But tonight I ran in to the challenge of wasted food.

I've struggled with the idea of wasted food in restaurants before, but when I'm full I just can't eat another bite. Tonight I was starving, so I noticed how much food came back into the kitchen. Far too much. The food wasn't coming back because it wasn't good, quite the opposite, people liked the items on the menu so much they ordered multiple appetisers, then an entree and then desert.

I'm not really sure why I had such an adverse reaction to seeing all the leftovers today. Perhaps it was simply that I was hungry and thought "If that had been my meal there would be nothing left on that plate."

But after seeing all the deserts go out, and empty plates come in (because of course people eat the entire desert...) it was a challenge not to order myself one too.

There are 3 things I was looking for when I applied for this job:
1- a great working environment
2- easy to commute to
3- an amazing selection of deserts

And I haven't been disappointed yet!


-Brandolyn


No comments:

Post a Comment