Thursday 1 May 2014

(DA) Doctor Who has books!

I just finished The Stone Rose by Jacqueline Rayner one of many Doctor Who stories. These books are associated with BBC's Doctor who, but are basically other people's stories about the characters and what happens to them outside of the show.

Doctor Who: The Stone Rose by Jacqueline Rayner  is the first Doctor Who book I've read. It's not the first in the series, and I have more of them on my bookshelf but I hadn't read one yet. I didn't know what to expect, but guessed that since the story revolves around time travelers, that it wouldn't be detrimental to read one out of order. Now that I know what to expect, I am really looking forward to them.


For those of you who don't know, Doctor Who is a TV Show in the Science Fiction/ Science Fantasy genre. The show and characters are all over nerd culture and it's easy to love with the sweet, funny and heroic characters in the show.

You don't need to know the show to enjoy the book, but it helps.

The book really impressed me. The writing wasn't out of this world fantastic, but I did have concerns about this book potentially ruining some of the continuity of the show. I was impressed to see that it didn't.

I can't say much about the book without giving anything away except that when I read the first couple chapters I thought to myself "This is a bit predictable", and couldn't have been more wrong. Every time I thought I could see something coming there was a plot twist that got me more and more excited about the story.

If you enjoy dedicated friendships, heroes, time travel, ancient Rome and mysteries then you will enjoy this book. If you love Doctor Who & The Doctor and Rose, then you will love this book.

This book is suitable for all ages. There is a bit of implied violence, but nothing gruesome. The time travel in the story can be a little confusing, but there are no adult themes and although it appeals to adults as well, it is also very suitable for young readers.

-Brandolyn



Have you read any other Doctor Who books? What were your thoughts? The next one on my shelf is Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man by Justin Richards.

No comments:

Post a Comment