Thursday 8 May 2014

(DA) New experiences

Today I got a last minute call to work as a follow spot operator for a show featuring 'Big Bad Voo Doo Daddy'. The catch was that I was already working when I got the call. I got permission to leave another job early, so that I could go in and help out for the show but I didn't have my uniform, or any of my equipment on.

Before tonight I could say I've always worn an all black outfit with steel toed shoes to work calls. Tonight I was the complete opposite of your typical technician in a flowing mint green high waisted skirt, a lavender belly top, and black flats.

No radio, no gloves, no tools or flashlight... I was so out of place that just walking backstage I felt like the talent looked at me like a 'lost fan'. I had to assure them that I belonged there. But after a moment they recognized my skirt and said "I thought I saw a girl in the booth!" I laughed, but still felt foolishly out of place. Especially beside all the other technicians.

Tonight I also got the pleasure of teaching someone new all about the job. They had never worked a spot light and had never worked in theatre, so some of the terms and jargon (even radio etiquette) was lost on him. It was a learning experience for us both. He was learning something new, and I was learning to keep my cool and teach the basics to someone who was way out of their element.

The show was AMAZING! If you've never heard of 'Big Bad Voo Doo Daddy' I suggest you look them up. They are a great Jazz band and have been together 21 years. They have 10 albums and wonderful stage presence.

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment