Tuesday 8 July 2014

(DA) Wishes Do Come True

I haven't always loved reading and writing, but in the 8th grade my competitive side kicked in when a fellow classmate (and bookworm) asked if I would be participating in that year's Read-A-Thon.

Normally my response would have been "No, that's not really my thing", but for whatever reason I said "Yes." I had no idea what books I would read but I was determined to read more of them than my classmate.

In the end, I think I read 8 books- which I thought was a lot for 1 month. My classmate read more than I did, but by the end of the Read-A-Thon I was so mesmerized by the books I had read that I didn't care. I was so worried about how much time I had wasted 'not reading' and I felt I had to play catch-up.

One of the books that had caught my attention was the Harry Potter series. I loved it. I surrounded myself with it, was absorbed in it and couldn't wait for more. When the series finished I was joyous and heartbroken. I wished for more books about Harry and the gang to read about. I even wrote a few of my own.

It hasn't been until today that I found out that J.K Rowling, the author of Harry Potter has been working on a new book about the Wizarding World she has created. It will be in the form of a biography of Dumbledore's Army written by Rita Skeeter.

And so, my wishes have come true!

I've always wanted her to write small stories about the in between times left out of the books, or snippets of summer vacation, but as my sister pointed out today 'That's how I write, not how she does it.' And that makes sense to me. I have one more story from her and I will cherish it!

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment