Thursday 10 July 2014

(DA) I think I have a skill

I never took it for granted that people come to me with issues, but I guess it wasn't until I realized how many people look to me for advice that I really noticed it.

It's tough to give people advice. Half the time, even though they're asking for it, they really don't want to hear what you have to say; I know I don't. 

And who am I to know what's good advice for anyone? I know what I would do, or what I would like to do, but is that really the best option for another person? 

Lately I've been favouring the tactic of asking them questions until they solve the problem themselves. At the end of the encounter they look at me like I'm a genius whose come up with the perfect solution for them. I really don't deserve any praise. I just facilitated the road to the answer. 

It's comforting that so many people feel comfortable bringing up their issues with me.

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment