Tuesday 1 April 2014

(DA) The Ripley's Aquarium

"My skin is the only thing keeping me from being everywhere at once."
-Prince Henry of France 'Ever After'

I often find myself feeling as though I'm seconds away from exploding into tiny pieces, so that I can experience every single moment of an overwhelming event. One of these events happened a few days ago while enjoying the experience of the Toronto Ripley's Aquarium for a friend's birthday. 

The aquarium as a whole was mesmerizing and intriguing. I was surprised at the facts that were provided for the visitors. It wasn't just educational information, no, in fact there were graphic pictures of sharks suffering from shark fining (and other damages inflicted upon aquatic life caused by humans) intended to educate visitors about serious issues. I guess they can get away with it because it's a "Ripley's" location. Most aquariums would skim the surface of animal cruelty, while the Ripley's Aquarium put it out there to be seen.

However, the moment that I wanted to dissolve into was at one of the first fish tanks. It was a large cylindrical tank, and a couple stories tall. It had tall kelp, and fish that swayed in the water. Every few seconds the water would surge, like a wave, with a big pulsing crash. 

And I loved it. 

The moment was beautiful, rhythmic and perfect. Even surrounded by all the marine life and the crowds, I felt alone and at peace. 

In that room, in that moment, with the swaying kelp, the fish that glittered in the water, and the crash of the water as it pulsed against the rocks, I would have happily let my body dissolve into the water to experience every movement and pulsing wave; if only my skin hadn't gotten in the way. 

-Brandolyn

I will take the feeling of that memory with me, and hopefully it will help me be at peace when I feel very far away from it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment