Tuesday 29 April 2014

(DA) I love my job

One of my jobs is "manager" of a Squash Club, which means every day I get the pleasure of going in to work to watch adults enjoying a sport with the same youthful indulgence as a kid in a candy store. 

They wait in line to get on court during round robin nights, and look to each other eagerly wanting to go on court when it's they're turn. They look around to make sure they aren't taking someone's spot, then jump on court excited to play. 

This is especially predominant on the doubles squash court. Tonight I witnessed a player walk off court and 3 people jump up to take his place. Everyone was very civilized as they decided who would go on next, but it's next to sadness when someone has to sit out several rounds. 

Actually, it's even worse when members hear laughter on the doubles court and rush over to see if they can join in the fun and are told they can't because they are playing a tournament match. -I've seen people wait, even up to an hour in the hopes that people will still want to play once their match has finished- 

This job is so full of wonder! The members love the sport, they are dedicated to the club and they respect each other so much that every game is fun! I don't belong to any other clubs, but I rarely see so much camaraderie in a competitive sport. 

Spectators/ members are cheering, hooting hollering, players are laughing, teasing and joking. It's lovely. 

I always go home with a smile on my face; it'd be hard not to in that environment. And that makes the job so so worth it!

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment