Wednesday 16 April 2014

(DA) Lost in my Mind Forest

Deep in the heart of a wood,
So dense you can smell the stench of rotting leaves,
Light cannot penetrate the canopy above.

I am alone.

It's dark.
It's cold.
The wind can't make it into the trees, but a chill still settles on my skin.
I feel around my pockets for a torch, or a map. But there isn't one.
There never is.

There's a road nearby.
I used it to get here, but it's lost in the dark.
But I can't see it.
I can't feel it.
I don't remember how to continue,
Or how to find it again so I can keep going.

This road is long,
I get lost a lot.
Sometimes the light pokes through the branches of the trees and shows me the path,
And it's not so hard to see where to go,
Other times, when it's dark, I trip over tree roots till I bleed.

I smell iron,
I'm already bleeding.
Damn.

Tonight I have no need to fight the dark,
So I sit and wait for the dawn.


-Brandolyn




No comments:

Post a Comment