Saturday 5 April 2014

(DA) It's kinda funny

If I was asked what places I remember from my childhood I would answer; my home, my grandparent's house on Georgian Bay and my parent's squash club. 

My sister and I spent so much time there when we were younger (it probably wasn't THAT much time, but when you're little it feels like it). We loved it! We knew everyone and got special privileges; like getting to play hide and seek in the towel racks behind the main counter, and teasing the older patrons. Like I said, we loved it. 

But when I was growing up and hitting that awkward pseudo rebellious stage and my parents were trying to get me hooked on squash too, I started to dislike it. I spent years at home playing games, or watching TV while my parents continued to go out to the squash club. 

I look back on that and laugh. 

Now I'm one of the managers at a squash club. I play singles and doubles squash, am married to a squash player AND today I spent 4 hours watching tournament games 'just because I felt like it'. 

Imagine all that time I could have spent enjoying the game of squash if I hadn't been so silly and rebelled against the idea of squash as a young teen. But, sometimes you have to make bad decisions in order to learn what you missed so you can make a better decision in the future. 

Now, I'll try almost any sport that's put in front of me!

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment