Tuesday 9 December 2014

(DA) My work-self

I had never had the chance to see how very different my "work-self" is to my regular self before today.

I knew that I behave a little differently when I'm serving at the restaurant; my voice changes for one thing, and I start to sound like 'Tour Guide Barbie".




This afternoon my sister and Grandmother surprised me at the restaurant- which was a wonderful surprise!- but because they know me so well, I knew that they would be able to tell if I was putting on a show, which apparently I do. Often. Most of my moments as a server are well rehearsed, and unnatural to my character. It was a surprising thing to realize! I had no idea until I did my "welcome talk" and heard how different my voice and cadence was.

Now I'll have to make a conscious decision to be more myself while working at the restaurant. 

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment