Thursday 11 December 2014

(DA) For December 10th

Yesterday I spent so much mental effort writing to reach a personal goal that I didn't have anything left to write an evening blog post.

After sleeping, waking refreshed and then exhausting myself again I have decided to post a small piece of writing that I cut from my novel. I changed the sequence of events enough that this excerpt no longer had a place in the story. I really like this part, so I'm happy to have an outlet to share it.


A little note for the reader: Bret and Jane are not friends. They've never gotten along, but they are both very close with a mutual friend. In this, their friend is badly injured and the two bond, briefly, for the first time, over their mutual concern.

*** 

Bret couldn’t manage to formulate any words, but Jane knew what he was asking and she didn’t know what to say: It’s hard to imagine she’s alive, I've never seen so much blood, It doesn’t look good, I don’t know how anyone could survive that many broken bones, all raced to the front of her mind, bringing tears to her eyes and making her lip quiver. 

She might lose her best friend today, and after everything else, that was just too much to bear. She opened her mouth to lie, to tell him, She’s fine, just a couple fractures, but instead her voice came out as a squeak. She covered her mouth with one hand, and turned away to blink away more tears. A firm hand reached out for hers, and closed around the hand she had balled up into a fist on the bed. Bret was leaning forward awkwardly, looking to her for answers. Jane turned back and sat on the edge of the bed. She patted his hand with her other hand, and opened her mouth again.

“She’s alive,” was all she could say at first. But Bret deserved more. “She’s unconscious, but that’s good for her right now. Her body’s badly broken, but the healer’s working on her right now. She’ll fix her up.” Jane’s voice hitched again, but when Bret’s grip relaxed she changed the subject quickly.


***

I'm kind of sad to see this go. Bret and Jane need moments like this, but it just doesn't help the story at the moment. 

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment