Saturday 6 September 2014

(DA) Night Shift

I love my job as a server. I adore the social aspects and chatting with strangers.

I do not love the rude tables, or entitled children.

Yesterday, although it was a busy and trying day was so full of learning that I can't help but be excited when I look back on it.

I opened the restaurant (as usual); which I love, and when we got a big party, we were all busy- but that's what the team is for. Then, we got 4 more parties (who didn't call ahead), and I had to stay late and help out. No problem. Lots of work, little pay out, but great experience. Then, I got to come back for an evening shift... I cannot remember my last evening shift -let alone a Friday night- and of course the worst storm in years comes, right when we are PACKED. Power outage, completely dark, no music, just eating by the light of cell phones. I learned to use an old imprint based credit card machine, and was shocked that 99% of our guests stayed and wanted to wait until the power came back on for their food. HA!

It was Friday. It was BUSY, and stormy and I am SO thankful for our amazing team. Everyone helped each other and we worked like a well oiled machine, even without power. It's amazing to see.

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment