Tuesday 30 September 2014

(DA) Fan Fictions

I write stories about Sherlock Holmes that I pass off as "silly little fan stories" so that I don't try to take them too seriously. I write them for fun. I write them because I love the BBC's interpretation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's characters in the TV show Sherlock.

I love the show, so I write stories to fill the gaps between episodes and have added characters to the world. I find it fun, relaxing and exciting, but it's still 'silly'.

It's 'silly' except that people LOVE them.

I have a fan base.

I have people begging me via email for more chapters and stories. I may think they're fun and not serious but there are complete strangers who are very serious about them, and that makes me feel amazing.

I've never thought the effort or writing I put in to them is the best-of-my-best, but good enough to publish, and the people who love these stories make me want to become a better writer. To spend more time and effort on these stories.

But will spending more time and effort on these 'silly/ fun' stories lose the appeal for me? Will it change the meaning of them for me and take away the ease?

I love writing them, I really want to continue to enjoy them.

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment