Saturday 27 September 2014

(DA) Doubt

Sometimes I doubt myself as a writer. And it's hard not to.

I pride myself on being a writer. When people ask me "What do you do?" I often reply, "I write Fiction for young adults." The people who ask often beam excitedly and want to know more. I give them small details (not enough to have the plot stolen from me; because I'm paranoid) and they always say "That sounds fantastic. I can't wait to read it. Let me know when it's published and I'll buy a copy!" 

How can they know my books are going to be good when they haven't read it? How can they have so much faith in my ability without knowing me or my writing style? How can they be so sure? 

Lots of people tell me my books are going to be well loved, but they haven't read them. So many people have faith in my skills, without needing proof, that it's hard to believe. 

With so much positivity, all I want to do is prove them right. I want to make sure that the faith they have in me wasn't misguided. I want to make them proud. And that's a lot of pressure. 

So with that much positivity and pride, it's not surprising I give in to self doubt sometimes. There are a lot of people I don't want to disappoint (myself included).

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment