Monday 9 June 2014

(DA) Mind Over Matter

One of the most challenging things to do in life is to complete a task while in pain (physical or mental), but somehow we often manage to power on. 

We've all heard stories of women enduring hours and hours of childbirth, Olympians completing races on broken limbs, people struggling with severe depression but holding on to life, or ballerinas practising so long and hard their toes bleed. I have never done anything that extreme and I commend the people who have. It's an amazing thing to be so driven that excruciating pain cannot deter you from your goal. 

My experience doesn't compare to those at all, but it makes me feel like this weekend I got a 'tiny' glimpse of that drive. Racing the Spartan through the burn, and today working on feet so sore my shoes were full of blood when I took them off at the end of the day. I don't know why they rubbed so badly today, but at the end of an 8 hour shift my feet had had it and I just wanted to be done and back in my runners.

I know I will one day encounter an obstacle that will seem so great a challenge and so painful it will test my determination, but I also know I am stubborn enough to meet that challenge and push through it. 

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment