Sunday 22 June 2014

(DA) Begining and Ending

I believe that one of the many keys to a good book is a great beginning and a strong ending; those are the big parts of books that people remember. I learned today that the beginning and ending of an experience is also very important in the service industry. 

I sat my first party of 10 today, and it's no secret that I felt overwhelmed. The group had requested me by name (flattering) and as it turns out, I had served them before; just a smaller number of them. 

The sitting was not ideal. They weren't pleased with the wait; grumbly stomachs have a hard time understanding normal cooking times, and were surprised when their food contained allergens (after I had asked them specifically if there were any allergies or food sensitivities at the table.) 

BUT I handled myself well and with the support of my manager, they were happy by desert. 

The part that made my stressful day worth it, was when the Birthday girl and her cousin went into our toy chest and got a hair clip out for me. Then they tied it to my apron. It was adorable. After they left, I was cleaning in the kitchen and another server called me back in to the dining room where I saw the two girls waiting for me again. They were holding a handful of flowers for me to thank me for all my hard work. 

Priceless. 

Beginning: "We loved your service last time and requested you today! We're so excited to be here for the Birthday girl!"

Ending: "Thank for your hard work. Here are some flowers, we'll see you next time." 

Everything in between pales in comparison to the memories of the beginning of the encounter and the ending. 

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment