Friday 6 February 2015

(DA) "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

This was my topic challenge, and I've debated with myself about how I am going to answer it.

When I was little I wanted to be a Dinosaur when I grew up. Or a Veterinarian, and more recently an actor or a Police Officer.

When I think about it now, I feel like I am grown up, and I haven't achieved any of those 'goals'. The question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" has a 'not so subtle' singular finality to it, as if to say that you can only be one thing.

But I'm not just one thing. If I look at myself; as the grown-up I am, I would say that I am a story teller.

I am a wife, a sister, a daughter. a friend, a confidante, and a story teller. Whether I do it out loud, in writing or through images and drawings. I tell stories.

I think the question that we ask young generations should not be "What do you want to be when you grow up?" but "What do you want to try next?"

I may know what I am at the moment, but I haven't tried enough to know What I want to be yet.

Maybe by the time I have grandchildren I`ll have an answer to that question.

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment