Wednesday 4 February 2015

(DA) Cold Weather

For the next few days the Duelling Amateurs are challenging each other to write about specific topic in an effort to help motivate us to the end of our year of writing.

We've all hit obstacles and road blocks which have prevented us from posting every day (I'm still journaling and posting online when I get time). Tonight's challenge was decided by Jason and is 'Cold Weather',

So here goes nothing.

***
It's when the weather is bleak, blustery and in the negative double digits that I envy bears. The heavy pelt, bulky physique and general 'hunt-ability' of bears doesn't offer much else of which to be envious.

When the air hurts my face, my nose drips like the broken tap in my old apartment, and the wind makes my eyes water; eventually freezing the tears in my eyelashes essentially freezing my eyes shut, I want to turn around, go home, bury myself in layers of blankets and sleep until the Sun comes back.

But there's a beauty that bears miss while they're asleep. They miss the infinite shapes of snowflakes as they land on mittens, and the sight of early morning sunlight sparkling off of a field of snow. Bears miss the awe of seeing rabbit tracks winding around the front yard, and delightful sound of ice cracking underfoot in frozen puddles on the sidewalk.

Bears don't get to hike in the forest when it is painted white, and drizzled with icicles. They don't get to build forts, or snowmen, or have battles on the playground waged with snow. Or to look at their partner's rosy cheeks after a walk with the dog.

They may get to sleep away the cold, miserable moments of winter, but bears don't get to threaten to put cold hands on their partner's warm neck, or watch longingly at the light on the kettle waiting for it to boil before pouring two cups of hot chocolate.

And although I envy the idea of hiding and waiting out the worst of the cold weather storms, I wouldn't want to give up the rest. Winter is a time for skiing, skating, snowshoeing, hiking, hot chocolate, snuggles by the fire place, fuzzy pyjamas, mistletoe, sugar cookies, candles, rosy cheeks and frozen toes, and the time of year when I discover that no matter how cold it is outside, with Jason by my side, I'm warmer than ever.


***

Tomorrow's challenge was decided by Alex and is "Courage".

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment