Sunday 23 February 2014

Hobbies and the people around you (DA)

Everyone has hobbies; whether it's writing, drawing, reading, horse back riding, model building, painting miniatures etc. But we as the hobby enthusiast have to remember that this is (more often than not) one person's hobby and, when we focus on our hobbies there are people close to us who are being left out of this part of your life.

We don't do it on purpose. We use reason like "this is fragile, don't touch" with kids and model planes or model train sets, or "we don't want to scratch the paint" with model cars.

I get it. When I'm writing I shut down because I'm concentrating. But I need to remember that there are people around me who want to share in my time. One way that I'm trying to include the other people around me is to ask them questions. "What would resonate with you in this situation?" etc...

It's easy to include others in your hobbies. Walk them through what you're doing, and suggest that they get one of their own so you can build, paint, draw together. Make it a community event.

If no one responds to your efforts, then at least you tried!

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment