Wednesday 26 February 2014

Fears and aspirations (DA)

I've always known that I've wanted a family; not necessarily a big one, but a fun and functional one would be ideal.

But after getting diagnosed with MS that idea has seemed unreachable. I'm terrified of getting sick and not being able to take my kids to the park, or feeling like a burden to my family.

I have an amazing support system, my husband, siblings, parents, grandparents, friends and I know I'm not alone. I know they'll help me if I need it, but the thought keeps me awake at night.

What if I push myself too hard and am so tired I don;t wake up to the baby crying? What if I'm home alone with the baby, or young children and my legs stop working or I need to go to the hospital? I have hundreds of "what ifs".

I got my diagnosis 9 years ago, so I've had a long time to think about it. I've managed to whittle down my number of "what ifs" to hundreds from thousands. I am aware that most of my worries are easily handled. I have gotten to a place where I know that I want children someday, no matter the sacrifices.

I still stay awake some nights agonising over it, but it's getting better, and it's creative and amazing parents that have shown me why I know I want to be a parent. To watch a child explore and grow every day of their lives is a blessing, a gift and a miracle. To teach them, learn with them and create with them is incredible and I aspire to be like them.

I had the best role models anyone could ask for. My parents taught me, learned with me, created with me, supported me through childhood, adolescence and even now into my adulthood. But some people didn't have the same experiences and hopefully the two creative parents below can help inspire you.

Dresses out of Paper

Fun Baby Nap Time

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment