Wednesday 12 February 2014

DA- My "Writing Process"

Yesterday Jason got nominated for some silly video/ drinking challenge, and as a wonderful man, he nominated me to do the silly thing too.

So we both chugged an "F Bomb" which is Fireball Whiskey and RedBull on camera.

Once the sillyness was complete Jason turned to me; shaking a little from the RedBull, and asked if he could go complete his writing assignment for the day. Of course I said yes, but then he jokingly asked "Is this your process? When I'm not home, do you just chug an energy drink or get drunk before you write?"

I laughed at him, told him "No" then stood in the kitchen wondering what my writing process actually is.

I noticed that I don't have a structured "writing spot" which I'm told I should find and make a habit, so I'll work on it, but I do have certain things I do to get creativity pumping through my veins.

99 out of 100 times I set myself up in a room with noise. I very rarely write in silence. I can remember 2 instances where what I was trying to write was so complex and detailed that I had to barricade myself in my bedroom away from every distraction until I had completed that scene. However, I usually prefer to have 1 of my many movie scores playing softly in the background while I write, or a movie that I know so well I won't feel the need to look up and watch it to know what's happening playing in the background.

I like having simple distractions around to help me focus on my task. Music helps me tune out the world and fall into the story I'm writing. As I write this I have Season 5, Episode 13 "The Big Bang" of Doctor Who playing on my computer.

I've also noticed I like to have snacks around. I have also noticed, unlike my auditory distractions, snacks slow my productivity, at the same time, when I get stuck I can nibble a bit and not feel as "helpless". I'll usually find my groove again during a moment of snacking.

When I write I like to be warm. I currently have a cocoon of 2 duvets and a fleece blanket on my bed which helped me write my movie review yesterday. Today I'm huddled close to the radiator in my fleece PJs. Fleece is a favourite of mine. So is the Canadian spelling of 'favourite'.

Other than keeping warm and having my music playing I haven't figured out any other parts to my writing process. I do however, tend to get inspired at night and have often written until the early hours of the morning.

I know that one of my biggest distractions is my dog. I can be on a roll, writing pages and pages but his bladder doesn't know that. Oh well, c'est la vie!

-Brandolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment