Friday 25 January 2013

Writing something different

On January 20th I got inspired during a walk with my dog to write a story based in the world of the BBC Television series Sherlock. (If you haven't seen it, then I highly recommend it. It is cleverly written and puts a great twist on a classic story by bringing Sherlock and John Watson to 21st century London.)

It started as silly babbling in my head of the characters in a scenario I would love to see on the TV show, but that is so far into the future it would be highly unlikely to ever be created. While I walked I wrote the dialogue, and the drama, picturing the story like an episode of the show, with moments that fade to black, commercial breaks and flashbacks. It was a compelling story. So, when I got home and the dog fell asleep, I started to write it all down.

This is a new form of writing for me, and one I am very willing to keep practising. I classified this as a "Fan Fiction." If you've ever heard the word, you will probably associate it with works like "50 Shades of Grey", which started off as a Fan Fiction. The term usually refers to written works surrounding characters, and places in Popular Culture, whether it is about Super Hero's, TV shows, Archie's love triangle with Betty and Veronica. In the world of Fan Fiction, anything is possible.

There are websites and "Fandoms" dedicated to these Alternate Story lines or Alternate Universes. It's amazing. Much of the work that is out there I would deem, Teen Dreams: fluff stories, with not a lot of substance, but occasionally you can stumble onto a beautifully crafted and compelling story that makes you wish that this piece of fiction was the original.

My piece is entry level. It's not a typical novel, style, so I feel out of my element, but the story came to me so fluidly, that I just wanted to get the whole thing written down. I wrote off and on for 3 days. 3 days, 20 pages and 8,517 words later I had published something online.

I subscribed to a website dedicated to Fan Fictions and submitted my work. There's no screening process, it's just published online for anyone to see and review it. I posted the first chapter of the story on the evening of the 23rd. On the first night I had 1 stranger "Favourite" my work and ask me for more. I also had my #1 fan, my sister, beg me for more on the website.

*I have a fear of posting my work online- I know it's an odd thing for a blogger to say- and have forced myself to put my work out there through my blogs, I thought this might be another challenge. However, since there is no way this story would ever get published: it's based off of someone else's brain child that is copy written, I had ZERO issues publishing it online. I am nervous about the reviews, but I'm also very excited to see how strangers (with no emotional investment to me or my work) feel about my work.

In the morning I posted chapter 2, then 3, 4, 5 and finally 6 throughout the day as I finished editing them.

On the first night I had 82 Views, spread over 41 Viewers and 1 Favourite.

On the second day I had 367 Views, spread between 82 Viewers and 3 Favourites.

I have no idea how many of those visitors like what I wrote, but it's still an amazing feeling to get so many people exposed to something I wrote in much a short period of time.

I wonder what day 3 will bring?

If you are interested in reading my piece, please find it here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8938240/1/The-Pieces-of-Sherlock-s-Heart

***PLEASE BE ADVISED*** This style of writing is not for everyone. It reads differently than most writing. THIS IS NOT A STAND ALONE STORY. The characters have a lot of history that is alluded to, but is not explained in this.

That being said, I hope you enjoy.

-Brandolyn


No comments:

Post a Comment