Saturday 12 January 2013

Back Jacket Challenge #1

Every time I come up with a story and start writing I inevitably write the blurb that I envision would be on the back jacket of the book. I think the cover of a book and the back jacket say a lot about whether a reader will enjoy a book or not. You get a quick taste of the main drama of the story. I love back jackets, but am always sad when they spoil a little bit of the intrigue, so I am shamed to admit I don't read many. I get my books through recommendations and intrigue from the title and cover, but I know a lot of people who say that the blurb at the back of a book is the deciding factor when they are looking for a book.

I talk about writing a lot but I have a hard time sharing it. I blog and share that, but when it comes to my novels I hold them so close that not even my family has read them. Recently, and off and on for the past several years I have been asked to share my work. Every time I sigh, think about it, agree and then never share. This winter however, I have been officially challenged to share some of my writing.

I am still very worried about sharing unfinished works, but my challenge was just to share a blurb. Just enough to get someone interested and wanting more. So I decided that my book jacket blurbs would be a wonderful compromise.

Over the course of the next few weeks I will be posting Back Jacket Blurbs, and would love any constructive and creative criticism my readers can offer. These are works in progress to get me more willing and comfortable sharing my work with the public. Enjoy.

-Brandolyn



The 1st of the Roaglenian. 
Gems


          The people of Everly have lived in peace for the last 25 years, after the devastation of the Ogre Wars. The country has flourished and swelled with riches, but when an old foe; long thought to be dead, threatens to take her revenge and steal the country's most prized possessions, the people of Everly hurriedly hide away their money, jewellery and precious metals. 


         When her town is ransacked, Trissiana Jeffreys; a young woman, beloved by all but known by none, embraces the opportunity to rid herself of a life long secret when she and her companions realize what their country should have been protecting; the children. 


No comments:

Post a Comment