Thursday 8 December 2011

A Round Table of My Own

I envy King Arthur and his round table.

As I contemplate another place to sit and attempt to accomplish some writing I cannot help but envision what it would be like if I had a round table. 

If I had a round table at my disposal I like to think that I would surround it with creative minds, instead of battle ready warriors. Although I sympathise with wanting to keep a guard around you at all times whilst living in a realm plagued by giant, man eating reptiles, my life has a serious lack of dragons. Besides, Knights seem to be in short supply.

At my round table, we would sit in our high backed chairs and we would share. We would pass around our work; whether it is a character profile, a chapter of a book, a journal or a poem and share our views, impressions and give each other creative and constructive feedback; instead of the ever helpful "it's great" or the "no really, I like it."

Can you imagine? Imagine having a group you trust so completely that you can share your craft without fear. Imagine a supportive group that would have no intention in stealing your work, but every intention in helping you achieve your goals, and whose help you want to reciprocate. It would be a table based around our collective desire to learn, to develop as artists and our uncontrollable urge to create.

Even if all my dreams don't come true and I don't end up living in a huge house, with stables in the backyard, and hidden passages throughout the house, I think I would still like to have a round table. A round table, or any shaped table, where my friends and I can gather, once a week or once a month and come together to gather our thoughts and help each other out of plot holes, writer's block and plain old creative fatigue.

Some people host book clubs, whereas I will host the Writer's club; a group of my friends whom I consider to be an elite society of Literary Enthusiasts and Creative Thinkers. As a result, hopefully I will not be the chairman of the Struggling Artist's Association, sitting on the curb waiving a sign saying "Really world!? You choose sparkles over continuity?"(I love that series for reasons even I cannot comprehend, but come on, you know I'm right)

Members of the WC will be required to bring tokens to each session. These tokens do not have to be tangible, but in the event that they are, they will be presented in a spill free environment, in a room covered wall to wall in books with a decorative fireplace in the corner for radiant heat and to add to the atmosphere without the fire hazard of candles or open flames.

Also, for hopeful future applicants to the WC please be aware, that while liquids not contained in a spill resistant cup are banned, all dogs will be welcome as foot warmers and will be sought after for their silent, vigilant and unwavering support.

To put forth your candidacy for the WC please prepare a package containing the following;
-1 bag of skittles
-1 Dr. Pepper (or chocolate milk)
-the most colourful leaf you can find
-a picture of a cat with a funny caption
-a drawing/ illustration/ character sketch or inspiration board of your writing persona
-and a written statement of your desires as a writer, your dreams, your strengths, your weaknesses and how you feel you can contribute to the WC

You may also include a submission of a kick ass (and/ or) witty name for the group. King Arthur had the Knight's of the Round Table and as catchy as the name is, it's a bit obvious. Being creative minds, we should be able to come up with something a little more exiting for the Writer's Club's title.

I sincerely hope that someday this will become a reality. When that day comes, I hope to see you there.

-B

G-6,619
TToA-52,431
TDotRQ-37,276

No comments:

Post a Comment