Wednesday 29 February 2012

Writer's Block

Most people know the definition of Writer's Block.
For the masses, Writer's Block is conceived as two ideas;
The general public visualises a mental barricade, which separates ideas from the brain, resulting in a lack of creativity.
My more "creatively inclined" friends, will visualise the Gamecube (from ReBoot) coming down  and physically separating them from the tangible world, in which their writing utensils reside, preventing them from putting words on a paper.

For myself, Writer's Block is an entirely different matter. I very rarely have a drought of imagination, instead, my sessions of Writer's Block happen when my creativity is at its highest. I see Writer's Block as a sort of Sensory Overload where I have too many ideas to write down, and not enough time, or patience to sort through them.

I have several novels that I am working on at the moment for exactly that reason. Every time I put one story aside to focus on another, I get more ideas for new stories and ways to improve old ones. It is incredibly difficult to make significant leaps toward the completion of a manuscript when I am constantly working in short bursts. I have several partially completed works, and none that are finished and ready to send off to an editor.

I am constantly flipping from story to story, it's a wonder I can keep them straight in my head.
However, I get a lot of joy in re-reading old stories, or ones I haven't visited in a while. I have even been known to surprise myself!
Believe it or not, I have actually been reading my own work and wondered "How did I get them out of this mess?" Historically speaking, I have been very impressed with the outcome. I like being surprised in everything I read, and I get a twisted sense of pleasure from surprising myself. This may come from the many versions of my stories. Every chapter has been re-written hundreds of times, each with a different sequence of events and outcome, or it could be caused by my spotty memory, honestly I cannot remember.

At present I am working on a few other blog posts- I had to get this one out of the way first. I'm desperately hoping that this will help me focus my creativity.
I am also working on two of my novels: G and TToA (although I pick up DotRQ and TB quite frequently), as well as a short story about the effects of MS on Mental Health, a few more of my pen pal letters (I have written many copies, and Ladies and Gents, I may just send you several different letters and let you pick one to reply to, I cannot pick a favourite). I also have the beginning ideas for a graphic novel, which would surround some of my first novel's main characters in small "novellas" that never appear in the actual novel, but are very exciting and although not necessary for the character's development, the stories are nice to know.

As I write this I realize it has had the opposite effect I had desired, and has made me more susceptible to ideas. My next blog, which will likely be uploaded within the next few hours, will detail my unique writing style. How I write, create, sort my ideas into stories, and how I build up characters.

-Brandolyn

G-7,278
TToA-64,492
TDotRQ-37,276




No comments:

Post a Comment