Wednesday 20 March 2013

Challenge Me!

When I used to do a lot of babysitting one of the things I would do to entertain the kids was to tell them a story.

I would tell short stories, or weave long tales, depending on what my audience was looking for but to keep it interesting for the kids I would ask them to give me certain details to start off the story.

They would give me a race for the Hero, and sometimes a name.
I would get a villain or some mythological beast that must be overcome.
I would be given direction for whether there is someone to be saved.
I would ask for details along the way of the story, for example; names of towns or pubs, spells, outcomes of fights and weapons.

I would be given a few details and have to weave the story together without any premeditation.

Now, I would like to challenge myself, and get back into "Improv. Story Telling"; as I have just named it. But I would like to ask for your help.

In order for this challenge to work, I would like you to give me some details;

Plot details
World details
A Character; name, job, age, sex (ANYTHING)
Does the character have a pet? A mount? A familiar? A best friend?
Give me a foe, or a challenge that the main character(s) must overcome
Give me a weakness or ridiculous strength.

Anything you want to throw at me (except a rhyming scheme! I'm just getting back on the horse, don;t make me Gallop the first day please.)

I'm looking for feedback from multiple readers, and will take details from everyone who posts before Friday March 22nd 2013 at 9:00 PM. Then, that night I will look at the details I've been given and weave a story for you. I will post it here on Saturday (providing nothing *glares at sleeping puppy* prevents me from writing); the first story that comes to mind. I will post it just as it comes to mind, and give you an idea of how much fun and how creative the mind can be when you haven't had time to over think your art.

Please leave a comment below. The story will be too easy to write if I don't get any limitations.

This should be fun! Looking forward to writing with you.

-Brandolyn

4 comments:

  1. Brittany Doucet20 March 2013 at 00:36

    I would like to see you use the Furies (from greek mythology) as a foe in the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo! I did a quick search to make sure I knew what these creatures are and I love them!

      I am very excited to write about this particular foe!

      Delete
  2. I would like to see your protagonist have some sort of disability just to make his or her quest that much more interesting and challenging... But I couldn't decide which one. Autism? In a wheelchair? Missing a limb? Really socially awkward? Faints at the sight of blood? Has vertigo? Incessant nosebleeds? Narcolepsy? (that one could be too much fun, though...) Or maybe they're a new mother, and they have to fight off the bad guys while holding a baby--or changing its diaper.

    Anyhow, I couldn't decide, so I thought I'd let you. Any of the above, a combination thereof, or even a new one--but it has to mostly hinder them, although in the end, it could turn out to have been a blessing in disguise all along...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Julie, even with this constraint you have left me with so many options. It's like standing in a candy store with $20!

      My initial reaction is a visual disability. We'll see, I'll run with it.

      Thanks for the ideas.

      Delete