Tuesday 11 September 2012

World Suicide Prevention Day

September 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day. 

If you have heard of this day you will probably have heard of or seen people wearing Yellow today, or writing LOVE on their arms to raise awareness for Suicide Prevention. 

Today, as I sought to join the action, I realized that my wardrobe has a serious lack of Yellow, and although I wrote the iconic LOVE on my arm, I felt my contribution to the movement was disturbingly small. 

A Suicide Prevention Day should not come once a year. 
There should be a day, everyday, for everyone.
For families and friends affected by the loss of a loved one, everyday is "S.A.D" Suicide Awareness Day. To those who are currently struggling with their lives, and think it is too much to bear, every day should be a Family Awareness Day, and to every suicide survivor and their loved ones, everyday is a Blessing. 

I wish there was more that the general public could do for people affected by thoughts of suicide or by a friend or loved one struggling with depression. A yellow t-shirt can get lost in the rainbow of colours in a crowd and a word on an arm can be covered by a sleeve or bracelet. 
My plan to increase awareness of depression, suicide and the pain left over afterwards, is to start writing about it. I have a small assortment of short stories that are still in the research phase, that I would like to share in the near future. Hopefully, one day, suicide will be better understood, and easier to talk about. When that happens, it'll be a lot easier for most people to say "I'm worried about you. I care for you. How can I help?"

My deepest wish is for anyone, and everyone struggling with thoughts of suicide to have someone to fight for them. I wish for them to have someone to stand with them and fight for them. I will fight for every person I meet, and I volunteer to anyone who cannot find that person to hold them up , even if we have never met, I will fight for you. You, your life, your struggles and your story matter. I will fight for you and I will do whatever I can to help you. 

Feel free to reach out to me, but if you cannot, and you or a friend is having thoughts of suicide please use any of the following helplines. 

www.kidshelpphone.ca/
www.itgetsbetter.org/Resources
www.torontodistresscentre.com/distress.shtml
www.suicidehotlines.com/canada.html

I will fight for you. 

1 comment:

  1. This is great....are we able to also get free wristbands to spread suicide awareness and prevention

    ReplyDelete